June 2012 – May 2013 Business Development Director SOJE/Lonsdale
Joined SOJE/Lonsdale in June 2012 as Business Development Director specifically to aid the Agency in entering the digital medium of social networking and advertising. Early in 2013, I was also charged with handling client servicing for Colgate-Palmolive, Bryden Stokes and Harris Paints.
1989 – 2011 Owned and Managed HFCB Advertising
In 1989 I moved to Barbados and formed the local advertising company HFCB Advertising. The business started by representing Trinidadian based clients in Barbados and the rest of the Caribbean, but soon began to take on local clients, starting with project work and finally blooming into full representation.
HFCB Advertising was a full service company offering clients marketing and mass communications consultancy; media buying in Barbados and the rest of the Caribbean; creative services in print, radio and television; production services in print, radio and television; PR consultancy, writing press releases and distributing among the media; promotional/incentive based marketing; direct mail services to specific target markets through both snail mail and e-mail; database marketing; web site consultancy, construction and maintenance as well as social media planning and implementing and training.
In 2005 HFCB Advertising began publishing the Barbados Pictorial Collection a series of products including 1) a weekly diary; 2) a desktop calendar; 3) a wall calendar; 4) a desk pad and 5)a wall planner. These items were created and produced in-house utilizing locally created art and photography, plus being printed locally, up until the 2011 edition.
As a member of the Barbados Advertising Agencies Association, worked with the Media Association of Barbados to negotiate a billing system with the newly introduced VAT Department to achieve a simple and effective way to introduce VAT into the Agency/Media billing relationship.
HFCB Advertising was closed in 2011.
HFCB Advertising’s client list included:
Harris Paints (decorative paint)
- Created an editable product manual and a wall calendar
CPS Limited (carpet suppliers & installers and small home renovations)
- Introduced client to advertising during the recession that resulted in major business gains as the country came out of the recession.
Motor Services (Hyundai brand of automobiles)
- Brand advertising for the numerous models of Hyundai vehicles available in our market
Glaxo-Welcome (OTC drugs)
- Brand advertising for Sudafed, Actifed and Zantac
Olympio Lottery (then shared the account with RCA when the lotteries merged to become The Barbados Lottery)
- Began revitalising the Olympio brand by
- reducing marketing spending by one million dollars through more efficient media buying and more streamlined TV production, while achieving a small gain in market share.
- re-energizing existing brand advertising by better reflecting the target market trends and attitudes.
- introduced new game promotions
- introduced new games.
- Worked on the merge of two lottery clients with the other’s advertising company:
- to create The Barbados Lottery
- developed the new logo
- involved in rationalizing the game portfolio
- creating the new Draw Show procedures and managing them for one year while training lottery personal until hand over.
- successfully co-ordinated with the previous Lottery’s Agency to share the adverting and marketing for the new lottery.
- introduced 3D animation and complete computerization technology (including operating procedures) for the new lottery game, Bingo, including the draws and the TV representation of the draws to the public.
- created the first successful non cash promotion for the Power Play lottery.
Top Health & Nature’s Discount (distributor and retailer of natural based products)
- Advertising and marketing for natural health products
Automotive Art (automotive paints and ancillaries plus aftermarket vehicle products)
- helped create the then automotive paint shop into a paint and vehicle aftermarket retail store through successful advertising and promotional campaigns (inclusive of media buying and radio and print production)
- created the “Speedy” character to help promote the vehicle aftermarket segment of the business
Crane & Equipment (vehicle recovery and crane services)
- created the now familiar vehicle livery for their trucks and cranes which achieved a major increase of awareness of the company.
- changed the concept from a wrecker to a recovery service.
- instituted the now expected car license branded disks that are available from licencing authority offices island wide
DE Havilland Aircraft Company (Canada)
- Organized and ran point for all Caribbean media on the Dash 8 – 300 demonstration flights for LIAT in all of LIAT’s Caribbean owning islands starting in Antigua and ending in Trinidad & Tobago
Talius (Barbados) Limited & Talius (Grenada) limited (hurricane, security and sun protection)
Armstrong Agencies (Sunshine cereal and Gatorade brands)
Waves (beauty spa and hair salon)
The Pot Warehouse (not what you think, imports and distributes plant pots)
Nabisco (Club Social salt biscuits)
Barbados Olympic Association
G.A. Phillips Ltd (Warehouse managers)
Ward Patel & Associates (Accountants)
Wolseley (Barbados) Ltd (retail and wholesale bath and kitchen hardware and applinces)
R.L. Mark (Kyocera brand office equipment)
Kendal Sporting (Members sport shooting and social club)
1979 – 1989 Hernandez, Foote Cone and Belding (formerly Norman Craig & Kummel)
In 1979, straight out of sixth form, I joined HFCB under their newly created Advertising Training program and for the next three years I interned in all their departments, Account Services, Print & Press Production, Creative Department, Marketing Department, Media buying Department, Accounting Department, Radio & TV production department, Traffic Department and even on the switch board.
Then for the next year I was an Assistant Account executive operating under the Retail Brand Manager.
In 1983 I was promoted to Account Executive, in 1986 I was again promoted to Client Services Manager (making me the second in command of the Office), while retaining my Account Executive portfolio. I also joined the New Business team during the same year with responsibility for identifying new business opportunities and presenting for the business.
Included in the Client Services Manager portfolio was the assumption of training for the new-to-the-business executives hired during my tenure.
In 1989 I moved to Barbados.
While at Hernandez, Foote, Cone and Belding I achieved the following:
- Rationalised the company’s vehicle expense account by rationalizing our car rental policy and negotiating with the bank to allow vehicle purchase loan without down payments for the company vehicles.
- Streamlining the billing procedure to:
- achieve better client understanding thus increasing the payment of bills
- achieve increased billing for the Agency
- Introduced technology into the admin and creative departments to:
- reduce the agency’s reliance on outside supplies,
- increase profitability to the Agency and
- decrease the production timeline for printed material
- Introduced quality assurance systems to protect the high quality of our service to Clients
Some of the Clients I handle account executive services for included:
Carib Beer (National beer of Trinidad & Tobago)
Singer Sewing Machine Company (White goods store – kitchen appliances etc)
National Petroleum (Entire band of motor oils)
Angostura (Old Oak rum brands)
Maggi (pre-mixed seasonings)
Orchard (fruit juices)
Sta-Fresh (fresh UHT milk)
Johnson & Johnson (Tylenol brand of OTC & first aid OTC)
Turban (brand of curries and individual seasonings)